Friday, January 21, 2011

The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge
Iron Codex #1
Publication Date: Feb. 22nd, 2011
Published By: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Hardcover, 512 Pages
Source: NYComicCon


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Summary:

"In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft's epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical—born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.

Aoife Grayson's family is unique, in the worst way—every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different."

Review:

4.5 Stars/5 Stars

The cover is the first thing that caught my attention. After reading the back description, I decided I definitely wanted to read this book. It took me a little while to get into the story, and I almost stopped reading it, but I'm glad I continued on. The slow beginning is the only reason why I took off half a star. After the story finally picks up there are a surprising amount of unexpected twists and turns that I did not anticipate from simply reading the back cover.

Aoife is a girl who lives in a world far different from ours. She has been told her entire life that there are night creatures outside of the city walls, and no one is allowed outside after dark. Both Aoife's mother and brother go mad from a disease known as the 'necrovirus' at the age of sixteen, and Aoife's sixteenth birthday is fast approaching. Sure that the same thing that happened to her mother and brother, will happen to her, and with a little push from her brother who sends her a letter to tell her to find the witch's alphabet and to save herself, she leaves the city. She goes on a journey with her best friend Cal, and meets Dean who becomes their guide. She explores a world she was always been told did not exist, and meets many new and interesting people along the way. She also discovers multiple family secrets.

This book leads you into a mystery for Aiofe and her friends, that I cannot go into, so as not to ruin this book for people who have yet to read it, but I will say it is very good!

I'm not sure whether this is a stand alone novel or if it will be part of a series, but if it is a stand alone, then it ends pleasantly, with no cliffhanger and left me, the reader, happy. If the author does continue, there are definitely questions left unanswered, and I will most certainly be following Aiofe's journey if it does happen to go on.

 
Jackie :)

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I can't wait for this book to come out! Good to know that the story gets better even though it has a slow beginning. I glad that you enjoyed it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always appreciated! :)